Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Coming Soon to a Theater Near You.... Enlist the Kiddies!

I just got back from taking the kids to see a summer movie. We went to Carmike Theater in Huntsville for the matinee of Surf's up. I didn't get to see much of the movie because Henry wanted to run back and forth through the aisle and dump popcorn all over everything. I think the movie was just o.k. though, the kids weren't that impressed.

But this blog post is not about the movie.

What I found very appalling is that before the movie started, during the previews, there was a very long military propaganda video shown. I couldn't believe what I was seeing!!! Emotionally charged video clips were interspersed with short phrases recalling honor, pride and adventure. All of this was shown while a heroic fanfare trumpeted in the background. And, this was not a quick little 15 second blip, it seemed to drag on and on for 3 or 4 minutes. I honestly sat up and turned around, wondering if anyone else thought this was a little weird, but all the other viewers just sat mesmerized, munching their popcorn and goobers.

I have heard of Army recruiting videos being played at Chuck-E-Cheese and was astounded at the rumor but I had never seen these brainwashing tactics in action until today.

Wake-up everyone!

The government is selling brands, and those brands are ARMY, NAVY, AIR FORCE, MARINES. Anyone in marketing will tell you that the younger you get a child to positively identify a brand, the more likely they will be to develop good feelings about it.

I have never been tempted to throw anything at a movie screen until today. I will definitely remember this the next time we are considering taking the kids to a movie.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross. ~ Sinclair Lewis